Until the mid-nineteenth century, South Hampstead was agricultural land. It belonged at one time to a Priory build in 1134 for a group of nuns. In 1536 Henry 7th dissolved the Priory and unfortunately, there are no remains left today.
Though now entirely rebuilt, Abbey Road is one of the oldest in the district and was once a path through fields from London to Kilburn Priory. The road is named after Westminster Abbey to which the Priory belonged. Alexandra Road was built soon after the marriage of Princess Alexandra and the Prince of Wales 1863.
A short stretch of housing on the road still has the original four storey houses, which are now converted into flats. Fairfax Road was originally known as Victoria Road and was renamed in 1870 as a tribute to General Fairfax.